These happy cupcakes are perfect for St Patrick's Day or a Rainbow party. Or any occasion really, since they are so darn cute! They are also simple enough that you can get your kids involved with making them, although that will probably mean having to share the leftover M&Ms.
This is how I made them...
(for the cakes)
110g self raising flour
110g caster sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs
(for the topping)
200g icing sugar
1 tsp blue food colouring
1) Pre-heat your oven to 160C/325F. Line your cake tin with the cases - using different colours would look cute for a rainbow party, but because we are so close to St Paddy's I stuck to green cases.
2) Mix all of the cake ingredients in a food processor or mixer (or you can do it by hand of course, it will just take longer to get a smooth consistency).
3) When the mixture is well combined and pale, spoon it into your cake cases. I fill mine to about half full.
3) Bake for around 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cakes are golden and a little springy when you touch the top.
4) While the cakes are cooling, make your buttercream frosting. Combine the butter and icing sugar together (again, I used an electric mixer). Then take a couple of tablespoons of the buttercream and put it in a piping bag, and add a drop of blue icing to the remaining buttercream. Mix thoroughly.
5) Spoon the blue buttercream onto the top of each cake and smooth with a knife. Add a rainbow with M&Ms (or Smarties would do too if you're in the UK) and then grab the piping bag to add a couple of white clouds. Easy!
Delicious and adorable!
You may also be interested in: